
Media rights groups and the United Nations has condemned Israel’s attack in Gaza that killed six journalists, including correspondent Anas al-Sharif.
The journalists who happen to work for Al Jazeera were killed in an Israeli air strike on Sunday, an act which the UN calls a grave breach of international law.
Israel’s military confirms it targeted Anas al-Sharif, alleging, without proof, that Sharif had served as the head of a terrorist cell in Hamas.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer said through a spokesman that the UK government was “gravely concerned” and called for an independent investigation. He stated that Israel should ensure journalists can work safely and report without fear.
The funerals of Sharif, fellow Al Jazeera correspondent Mohammed Qreiqeh, journalist Mohammad al-Khaldi and cameramen Ibrahim Zaher, Mohammed Noufal and Moamen Aliwa took place on Monday following the targeted missile strike on their tent at al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City.
The Foreign Press Association said it was outraged by the targeted killing. It said the Israeli military had repeatedly labelled Palestinian journalists “as militants, often without verifiable evidence”.
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said it was appalled by the attack and that Israel had failed to provide evidence to back up its allegations against Palestinian journalists.
“Israel has a longstanding, documented pattern of accusing journalists of being terrorists without providing any credible proof,” the organisation added.
The Israeli military has suggested it has documents found in Gaza that confirmed Sharif belonged to Hamas.
It said these include “personnel rosters, lists of terrorist training courses, phone directories and salary documents”.
The only materials that have been released for publication are screenshots of spreadsheets apparently listing Hamas operatives from the northern Gaza Strip, noting injuries to Hamas operatives, and a section of what is said to be a phone directory for the armed group’s East Jabalia battalion.
No Israeli explanation has so far been given for the killing of the entire Al Jazeera news crew.
CPJ says at least 186 journalists have been killed since the start of Israel’s military offensive in Gaza in October 2023.
The Israeli government does not allow international news organisations into Gaza to report freely, so many outlets rely on Gaza-based reporters for coverage.
Anas al-Sharif was a household name who had millions of followers online.